The people who say slavery is a thing of the past lied.
This is amply evidenced by this article and should not surprising given the sheer numbers we are dealing with when we talk about countries like India and China and given their economic challenges. There is however subtle evidence that the slave trade is thriving such as examples of human trafficking and selling brides. Sure the descriptions might be different, but make no mistake these inhumane practices represent slavery.
People having to look into the face of hunger on a daily basis would gladly give up freedom for food. The question here is “who has failed these people?” Is it their government? Their society? Or is it their fellowman, their neighbour?
- Global Slavery Index: Report shames India, China, Pakistan (thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com)
- Nearly 30 million People Still ‘Living’ in Slavery (goldenageofgaia.com)
- Yoh! WTF? You can buy a wife from Vietnam for $6,000 | Today I Learned Something New (yohwtf.wordpress.com)
- India, China on slavery’s list of shame (wyff4.com)
- SHOCKING: ‘1.4 crore Indians live like slaves’ (rediff.com)
- Revealed: India is home to nearly half of world’s 30 million modern-day slaves – euronews (euronews.com)
- Nearly 30 million people in slavery: index (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Index: Nearly 30 million people in slavery (aljazeera.com)